An Introduction to Your New MCB VISA Debit Card
While cash and checks are still the most recognized methods, consumers increasingly use debit and credit cards to make purchases. Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about these methods of payment, and your protections.
How is my MCB VISA debit card different from a credit card?
A credit card is like taking a loan. It allows you to borrow money at an established interest rate subject to terms and conditions of the issuer, and you pay back the credit you used each month. Debit cards work like cash or a personal check. When you use a debit card, you instantaneously subtract money from your checking account.
Where can I use my new card?
Your MCB VISA debit card can be used at any ATM that is on the NYCE or PLUS network to withdraw cash. Your card can purchase goods and services from any merchant that accepts VISA.
Should I use my debit card for all of my purchasing?
Some experts advise that you use a debit card for small daily purchases, such as for groceries, at the gas station, or dry cleaners. Credit cards might offer broader protection for larger purchases or those made over the internet or by phone. For instance, you can contest a credit card charge for a product and not have to pay until the dispute is settled. With a debit transaction, the vendor has your money during the dispute period.
Some stores ask me if I want to use Credit or Debit when I make a purchase, which option should I choose?
You can use your new card for either type of transaction. If you select ‘Debit’ at the point of sale, you will be prompted to enter your PIN to validate the transaction. If you select ‘Credit’, you will be asked to provide your authorized signature.
What should I do if my Card is Lost, Stolen, or Misused?
If you suspect or have proof that a merchant where you have used your debit card is not secure, or you believe you are a victim of identity theft, you should act immediately:
- Report the lost or stolen card to us.
- If you have proof of theft or criminal misuse, file a police report
How Can I best Protect My Card?
- Protect your card as if it were cash.
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately.
- Keep track of your debit card receipts as proof of the purchases you make.
- Check your account frequently using our FREE Internet Banking or Bank by Phone service to identify fraudulent transactions as early as possible.
- Review your statements for purchases or transactions you did not make, using your receipts as a guide. Report any such transactions to us immediately.
- Shred your receipts before disposing of them.
- Provide your debit card information only to trusted sources.
- Never reveal your PIN to anyone.
- Never keep your PIN in your purse or wallet or write it on your card. Try to memorize it.
- When you receive a new or replacement debit card, sign the back of it as soon as it is activated.
- Signup for MCB eAlerts in the Self-Service section of Online Banking. Click to learn more about eAlerts.pdf
- Want a secure way to manage your debit card? Click here to learn about SecurLOCK
A note on "Skimmers"
There is a new threat to debit card users -“skimming”. Skimming occurs when thieves set up a device that captures the magnetic stripe and keypad information from ATM machines and gas pumps. Be aware of this scam when you scan your card and review your statements for unauthorized purchases.
Understanding your Liability
If your personal debit card is lost or stolen, notify us immediately. According to the Electronic Funds Transfer Act, if notification is given within two business days of discovery of the loss or theft, you may only be liable for $50. If you do not notify us within the two day limit, you may be liable for up to $500 worth of fraudulent transactions. Finally, you could be liable for everything if notification is not given within 60 days, after receiving a statement showing unauthorized withdrawals. (Visit www.ftc.gov for a full explanation).
Business debit cards are not protected by the Electronic Funds Transfer Act the same way personal cards are. As such, if your business debit card is compromised, call to cancel it immediately. Failure to do so may result in unrecoverable losses.
What is MCB doing to protect me?
All MCB VISA Debit Cards are automatically protected by FREE Fraud Alert Management Services. For more information on this free service, Click Here.